List of presidents of departmental councils (France)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs to be updated. The reason given is: many presidents have since changed.May 2020)(
In France, the President of the Departmental Council (French: Président du Conseil départemental) is the locally elected head of the Departmental Council, the assembly governing a department in France. The position is elected by the departmental councilors from among their number. If there is a tie, the senior councilor is elected.
The President of the Departmental Council wields police powers. Responsibilities include:
- Chairing the departmental authorities
- Preparing and implementing the council's decisions
- Collecting and spending monies
- Representing the département in legal cases
As a result of the decentralization of government the election criteria were redefined in 1982 and the President of the Departmental Council took over executive powers from the centrally-appointed prefect.
- 1970-1982 : Évelyne Baylet, Tarn-et-Garonne
- 1982-1985 : Lucette Michaux-Chevry, Guadeloupe
- 1985-1994 : Janine Bardou, Lozère
- 1991–2011: Anne d'Ornano, Calvados
- 2004–Present : Marie-Françoise Pérol-Dumont, Haute-Vienne
- 2004–Present : Nassimah Mangrolia Dindar, Réunion
- 2008-2011 : Claude Roiron, Indre-et-Loire
- 2008-2011 : Josette Durrieu, Hautes-Pyrénées
- 2010–Present : Hermeline Malherbe-Laurent, Pyrénées-Orientales
- 2011–2012 : Marisol Touraine, Indre-et-Loire
- 2011–2015 : Josette Manin, Martinique
The situation in the overseas territories is different than that in metropolitan France. Generally, these territories are simultaneously departments and regions. The President of the departmental council may also serve concurrently as President of the Regional Council.
List of the Presidents of the Departmental councils
Notes and references
- "Marc Gaudet, nouveau président du Département du Loiret". France Bleu (in French). Retrieved 2020-05-18.
- Mayor of Paris
- Formerly Union for a Popular Movement.
- President of the Territorial Council (Président du Conseil territorial) from 21 Feb 2007. Rulers
- Departmental collectivity then Department from 3 April 2011.